Why Does Vaping Make Me Cough?
Coughing after vaping. Yes, this can happen sometimes. But why and does this situation may take a wrong or severe turn for your health? Well, with the help of this article, we will discuss:
- How vaping may cause coughing?
- How to control it?
- Is there any way to get rid of mucus and phlegm from vaping?
- What to do if you have a dry cough due to vaping?
Here are all the answers:
Why Do Vapes Make Me Cough?
Usually, when a person tries the vape for the first time, he/she may go through with light coughing as a genuine response of the body (as the vapors of e-cigarettes are thicker than cigarette smoke). But if an experienced vaper frequently coughs after puffing, it may be because of one of the following reasons:
- Nicotine Strength: If you are not used to vaping, or if you are sensitive to nicotine, you may feel like coughing. Along with this, if the nicotine strength of the vape may be too high, this may also can cause you to cough.
- High Propylene Glycol (PG): As you know, PG or propylene glycol, is a thinner liquid that is used in e-liquids to carry the flavor and nicotine and VG, or vegetable glycerin, is a thicker liquid that produces more vapor. If the PG/VG ratio of the vape is too high, it can be harsh on your throat and make you cough.
- Quality of Vape Juice: Quality of the ejuice also plays a vital role when it comes to vaping. If you are using an artificial vape juice, then you may cough or uneasy after having a puff. So make sure you use a quality e-juice.
- Wattage Too High: If you are using a high-voltage vape to have a vaping experience, it may cause high temperatures. Furthermore, if the temperature is too high, it can cause the vapor to be too hot and make you cough.
- Burnt Coil: If your vapes mesh coil is scorched already, it may cause coughing. When a coil is burnt, its inside cotton becomes dry and charred. This can create a harsh, irritating vapor that can irritate the throat and lungs, leading to a cough.
- Damaged Cilia: Suppose you are using a harsh chemical-infused e-juice while vaping. In that case, it may damage your cilia, which are responsible for moving mucus and debris out of the lungs. This damage can cause a cough after having a puff.
- Using the Wrong Vape Setup: If you are using a wrong vape setup, such as using high-voltage vape, or using a bad-quality product for puffing, ir may also cause cough.
- Sensitive to Stong Flavors: Some people are sensitive to the flavors in vapes. If you are sensitive to flavors, vaping may make you cough.
- Dry Throat or Dehydration: Well, if you are vaping while you have a dry throat or you didn’t have the water for a long time, it may cause cough after puffing.
How to Stop Coughing When You Vape?
Well, if you cough frequently after vaping, you may try one of the following tips to stop your coughing:
- Restrict Airflow: When you have an vape that has high wattage, it may cause high vapor creation and overflow. So ensure that you use an vape with low wattage. It will help you to restrict the airflow that may cause coughing.
- Take Smaller Hits: If you are new to vaping, you should start with smaller hits so that your body will adjust to the thick vapors and you can avoid the cause of coughing.
- Test Different Coils and eLiquid: If you are still coughing after taking a puff, even though you took care of every step. You should try different coils and e-juices to check if it works.
- Try a Different Power Setting: You can also try different power settings so that you may control the vape temperature. You can try vaping at a lower temperature and see if that helps.
- Avoid Coffee or Alcohol: Don’t intake coffee or alcohol while vaping or before vaping, as these liquids cause dry throat.
- Clean Your Coils and Vape: Make sure your vape coil is cleaned before you use it, as any debris or dust particles may cause a cough.
How to Get Rid of Mucus and Phlegm from Vaping?
Here are some tips on how to get rid of mucus and phlegm (sticky substances that your body produces to protect your airways from infection and inflammation) from vaping:
- Drink Liquids: Water, juice, and other fluids can help to thin mucus and make it easier to cough up.
- Use a humidifier: A humidifier can add moisture to the air, which can help to loosen mucus and make it easier to breathe.
- Take a hot shower or bath: The steam from a hot shower or bath can help to loosen mucus and make it easier to cough up.
- Use a saline nasal spray or rinse: A saline nasal spray or rinse can help to loosen mucus and clear the sinuses.
See a doctor. If you are experiencing severe coughing or shortness of breath, see a doctor to rule out any other medical conditions.
How to Get Rid of a Dry Cough From Vaping?
Here are some tips on how to get rid of a dry cough from vaping:
- Drink plenty of fluids: You should drink water, juice, and other fluids if you have dry cough. It can help to keep your throat moist and make it easier to cough.
- Use a saline nasal spray or rinse: A saline nasal spray or rinse can help to loosen mucus and clear the sinuses. It may help you control the dry cough.
- Try A Cough Syrup: If you still coughing take dry cough syrup after consulting the doctor.
- Get some rest: Getting enough rest gives your body time to heal and fight off infection.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can Vaping Cause a Chronic Cough?
Yes, vaping can cause a chronic cough. In fact, a chronic cough is one of the most common symptoms of vaping. Other symptoms of vaping-related lung injury include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Weight loss
- Coughing up blood or bloody mucus
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor right away. If you use the vape in the right way with an appropriate amount, you can save yourself from chronic cough.
Is It Normal to Cough When You Start Vaping?
Yes. It may happen to the vapers who don’t have prior vaping experience. This is because your throat isn't used an irritant. It needs time to get used to it.
What are the Long Term Effects of Vaping-Induced Coughing?
The long-term effects of vaping-induced coughing are still unknown, as vaping is a relatively new phenomenon. However, some potential risks have been identified.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Respiratory infections.
- Heart disease
It may happen in rare cases. If you are coughing frequently after having vaping experience, you should contact a professional for help.